Home Learning – Year 2 -Spring Term 1
Spelling and Times Tables
Your child will participate in a spelling/times table test on the dates stated in the table below. They will be tested on all words/tables; however, the order in which the words/tables are read out will vary from week to week. High frequency words have been included for children who have not yet secured the spelling of these but all children will be tested upon them.
Here are some suggestions to help your child learn their spellings:
- Look, say, cover, write, check
- Trace, copy and replicate – a similar process to look, say, cover, write, check but is about developing automaticity and muscle memory
- Segmentation – splitting the word into its relevant phonemes
- Drawing around the word to show the shape – making a clear distinction in size where there are ascenders and descenders
- Drawing a related image around the word – linking meaning to tricky or technical words so that they become more memorable
- Words without vowels – taking the vowels out of spellings and asking your child to insert them
- Pyramid words – writing words out a letter at a time (and then reversing the process so that you end up with a diamond)
- Clapping and counting to identify the syllables
- Rainbow writing – using coloured pencils to highlight the tricky parts of a word
- Saying the word in a funny way – for example, pronouncing the ‘silent’ letters in a word
Date to be tested on
Spellings for Groups
Times Table Focus
|23rd January 2020||
/ai/ sound spelt 'y'
happy, spooky, baby, berry, empty, twenty, family
High Frequency Words
should, could, would
|30th January 2020||
|Number bonds to 10|
|can't, didn't, hasn't, it's, couldn't, I'll, they're|
|6th February 2020||Words ending in -le||Number bonds to 20|
|table, apple, bottle, little, middle, Bible, beetle, circle, uncle, castle|
|13th February 2020||hike, shine, ride, make, write, hide||2 x and 10 x|
Instead of comprehension this week could you please write these spellings into sentences changing
the words into words ending in -ing. The spellings tested will be the words ending in -ing.
E.g. hike - hiking
Maths Homework Online – IXL
The children will complete their maths homework using IXL. Children will be allocated homework on a Thursday, based on what the class have been learning that week. It is expected that you supervise your child’s use of IXL, as completion of maths homework will be monitored.
Individual login and password details for IXL will be distributed and it is advised that you keep these somewhere safe.
Below you will find the appropriate homework for each maths group. These groupings are flexible and so please feel free to adapt which units your child does based on their confidence at the topic being studied. When your child logs onto IXL you will notice the huge range of skills they can work on. If your child is enjoying using this programme and wants to practise skills that are not set homework, this would be beneficial to them.
Date Due In
|Thursday 23rd January||
Yr 1- H.6, W.1
Yr 2- O.2
|O.2, O.4, O.9||O.2, O.4, O.6|
|Thursday 30th January||Login to Times Table Rockstars||Login to Times Table Rockstars||Login to Times Table Rockstars|
|Thursday 6th February||D.3, D.6||E.10, E.8, D.6||E.10, E.8, D.19|
|Thursday 13th February||H.7, H.5||H.5 , H.10||H.19, H.4|
|Thursday 27th February||S.1, S.3||S.1, S.3 , S.8||S.1, S.3, S.9|
You can practice your number bonds to 10 and 20 here:
choose- bonds to 10/20
Reading Tasks and Comprehension
The children will be expected to read with/to an adult and to complete a weekly reading comprehension task. As always, please write a comment in your child’s reading record once they have read. Reading records will be checked every week and reading tasks will be due in every Thursday.